Sunday, August 22, 2010

Sassy the Cow


Hi, my name is Sassy the Cow and I have my own blog.  The farm decided to give me a spot on this blog because I'm loved and special.  No, seriously...I am special.  Jake Klein, who happens to be my owner told me so just the other day.  That was right before he put me out to pasture and stopped milking me.  I am pregnant with my 2nd calf.  I was bred in January and was milked in the barn along with the rest of the cows until the first week in August.  At that point, Jake and Layne dried me up and put me in the dry cow barn.  So you ask, how do you "dry" a cow like me up?  They stopped milking me gradually.  I was only milked for one time a day for about a week, instead of the twice a day like the other cows in the barn.  After a while, my milk stopped coming in and I was moved to the dry cow barn until I give birth. 

You're probably wondering (especially if you have visited my farm) how did I get pregnant? Well, the farmers don't keep any bulls on the property because it is just to dangerous and if they did, the gene pool would just get too small.  In the cattle world, variety is the spice of life, so to say.  I was bred to a bull named Outside back in January, via artificial insemination. My gestation period, just like a human is 9 months. 

So, here I stand, watching the world pass by and that's why I am finding the time to "blog".  Other happens on the farm that I can report are an explosion of baby fowl.  This summer, we've had 4 baby peacocks born, 15 baby ducks and lots of baby chickens.  You can see all these cute babies walking around on your visit to the farm.  Feel free to stop by the dry cow barn to say hello to me as well.  I am the red and white holstein cow who is just ohh so friendly.
Hi, I'm Sassy the Cow  
Up Close and Personal!  Yes, I am friendly!
My home...aka The Dry Cow Barn

3 comments:

  1. Hi Sassy! I can't wait to see your new baby! Post pictures when you get time, but of course you will be a busy new mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim Hower votes Sancho and Skippy.
    Meg Hower votes Slappy and Suzie.

    ReplyDelete